The news of Monaghan’s withdrawal from the League of Ireland is sad, and raises a number of points that it would be good to get answers to from the relative parties.
To Monaghan United:
- How far back did you realise that the club could not sustain a Premier Division presence?
- How were you able to budget for a year ahead without a sponsor?
- Why did some of your players find out the news today via Twitter?
To the FAI:
- How did the licensing procedure allow this to happen?
- How will the licensing procedure be reviewed to make sure this does not happen again?
- How will the promotion/relegation system now work?
- How likely is it now that a one division system will be adopted?
- In that event, when will clubs be informed?
- Are Monaghan’s results and points won/lost going to be expunged from the league table?
- Are Sligo Rovers going to be reinstated in the FAI Cup?
It’s a total mess of a situation.